Search This Blog

Thursday, August 14, 2008

More on theism

A couple of weeks ago, Eli was being contentious at bedtime, refusing to put his pajamas on. I have started using threats/bribes to get my kids to listen to me. however, as they had already played their games (leapsters) I was at a loss of what to take away. I said, "Eli, if you don't ready for bed, I won't let you go to swim class tomorrow".

Eli stood up straight and defiantly declared, "You have to let me go to swim class; I need to learn how to swim!" (as he stomped his foot).

I countered, "Well, you won't have swim class if there is thunder."

"But how can you make it thunder?"

"I can pray to God for thunder"

Without missing a beat, Eli inquired, "Who's God?"

Oy vey. What rat hole did I just step into? I answered, carefully, "God is the guy who controls the weather."

In rapid fire, the following Q&A ensued:

"Where does he live?"

"God lives in Heaven".

"Do you know how to get there?"

Not wanting to enter into a conversation about death and the afterlife again, I dodged with, "You don't get there."

"Then, do you have his phone number?"

"God doesn't have a phone."

"Then how do you talk to him?"

I explained that all you need to do is talk, and God can hear you whereever you are. Eli was unconvinced and told me that didn't make sense. So much for his early religious education!

No comments: